In the meantime, here’s a light-hearted look at a few (well, 5 to be exact) things that we, fresh off the boat from the UK, found strange, odd and funny about Cambodia and its lovely people:
1. As many people as possible crammed on mopeds – we once witnessed 5 adults somehow balance themselves on a small 100cc bike and usually there are young kids hanging from the steering wheel or sandwiched between the adults!
2. Giggling – I don’t know if was my ginger beard or my silly Irish accent but a lot of Cambodians got a good laugh at me when I spoke to them! haha, I probably deserved it…
3. Menaces with speakers – whether it was very early morning funeral music (funerals go on for a week!), early morning karaoke or really loud wedding music late at night after the guests have went home, Cambodians certainly know how to get maximum decibels from their speakers at the strangest of times!
4. Crazy driving – despite being a usually calm and placid people, put Cambodians behind the wheel and they transform into wannabe dare devil rally drivers! They will happily attempt a three way take over on a narrow road while chatting away on their mobiles, crazy stuff.
5. Raucous street weddings – most weddings seem to take place in a big tent outside one of the wedding party’s homes and it takes over the entire street. Businesses in the street have to close for a few days while everything is set up, the loud party swings into action and then for it all to be taken away. The strange thing, no one seems to mind – that, unfortunately, would definitely not be the case back home!
Turning the tables, have any of you found anything about British or Irish people funny or strange? Let us know and give us our comeuppance!